Just like POP3 , IMAP is an email access protocol. The IMAP full form is “Internet Mail Access Protocol”. It has more powerful features as compared to POP3. IMAP is complex than POP3. IMAP server provides email services to the users.
IMAP server uses port number 143.
IMAP vs POP3
POP3 gives you ability to download and delete a message but you can’t organize your mailbox with POP3.
Whereas with IMAP you can perform the following operations on the IMAP server:
- You can move the email across all the folders. For example firstly the email arrives at “inbox”. Later on you can move it to another folder.
- If you have low bandwidth internet connection then you can read header of the email before download.
- You can also download messages partially.
- You can create new folders and rename the existing folders too.
- A user can search emails or specific content in emails throughout the mailbox.
What is better IMAP or POP3?
You can observe from the above comparison that POP3 is a simple protocol which allows you just download and delete emails.
But IMAP server is equipped with more advance features. It gives you freedom to manage your mailbox. You can keep your emails in folders you want. You can delete or create new folders.
In addition to this IMAP doesn’t download emails to your device. It keeps the record on IMAP server and synchronize your device with server.